Frequently Asked Questions

Leeds City College teacher sat with adult student in a classroom smiling as they discuss some work on the desk in front of them

There’s much to be excited about as you start to think about, and plan, your future at Leeds City College. We realise there is a lot of information on this website – and we appreciate you may have some (or many) questions. So we have compiled a list of the questions we are asked the most, as well as some we think you may ask, and hope they address any queries you have.

If you can’t find the answer to your question please 
get in touch, our friendly team is ready to help. 


  • Can students choose which campus they will study at?

    Students can’t choose the campus they study at as they will need to attend the campus that hosts their course. For example, animal care courses are available at Temple Newsam. Students can use the library, canteen facilities, and student resources at other campuses as long as they have their Leeds City College student pass.

  • Is support available at each campus for exams and coursework?

    Yes, all students have access to a huge support network at every campus including wellbeing, pastoral support, and support with their studies.

  • Can students get funding support to help with travel?

    Financial support with travel is available to students who meet eligibility criteria. Full details of the support available, eligibility criteria and how to apply, can be found on our Financial Support pages.

  • How can I make new friends?

    The Students’ Union is one of the best in the country and regularly advertises events for you to attend. The start of each year there is an opportunity to attend the ‘Big Welcome’ event to meet other new students from across the college and other departments. Equally, many classes form friendship groups early on and socialise, both inside and outside of college.

  • What if I don't get the entry grades?

    Speak to us – we will do our very best to get you on the course you want and if this isn’t possible we will talk you through alternative options.

Adult students

  • Can I study any course at any campus?

    Courses are delivered at specific campuses and centres and it is unlikely you are able to study a course at a different location. For details of where a specific course is being run please check the course page.

  • Where will I study?

    Alongside our face-to-face classes, there are some opportunities to study online. We will discuss your learning needs and the best learning locations at your interview.

  • How long are the courses?

    Course length can vary, to find out the length of your courses please visit the relevant course page. For courses in English and maths, study is usually 2.5hrs a week for up to 33 weeks.

  • Do you have evening classes?

    Many of our courses have flexible classes, with classes being available in the morning, afternoon and evening. To confirm your class times and availability, please check with your course page or email us

  • Do I take an exam?

    Many of our courses have an exam as part of their assessment, alongside in-class work, vocational work or portfolios. However, this does not apply to all courses, particularly our vocational, hobby and short-term options. These may only require one or two forms of assessment instead.

  • If I need to take an exam, can I do it early?

    You can’t change your exam date if you are taking a GCSE because these have fixed exam dates in May and June. However, Functional Skills exams can be taken early if your teacher thinks you are ready.

  • How much do courses cost?

    Prices vary for each course. Please check your course page on our website, or see our Adult & Community prospectus to find the most up-to-date information.

  • Do I have to pay for the courses?

    Not all courses require a fee. For example, English and maths are free for learners over 19 until they have achieved a grade C or 4. As part of the Government-funded “Free Courses for Jobs” scheme, there is also a wide range of teaching, counselling, care, healthcare and other courses now free for adult learners. Additionally, if you receive certain benefits, reduced rates are available for some of our Leeds City Council-funded courses.

  • Is there help I can get with childcare and travel?

    If you meet the eligibility criteria we may be able to help with costs such as childcare and travel. For full information about the support available, eligibility criteria and how to apply for assistance, please visit our Financial Support page.

  • What equipment do I need?

    You will need a device to access the internet for independent study. If this is something that you need support in accessing, please let us know. We can sometimes lend this to you, or you can use our on-campus digital suites at various locations.

  • Where can I find enrolment information?

    You can enrol for our adult courses at any time of the year.

    For more information, you can email us at or call us on 0113 386 1997. If you are unsure of what course is for you, complete our online enquiry form and we will get in touch to discuss your options.

  • What sort of support is available for 19+ learners?

    From childcare and digital access to financial aid, we have a range of support available for our 19+ students. For help with childcare, we work closely with Ofsted-registered childcare providers and can support you with childcare costs and places.

    If you are an adult in hardship, you might be able to access additional financial support (subject to availability). Please enquire about this at enrolment. We also have print and electronic learning resources available to support your studies.

    Our student welfare is incredibly important to us. Your tutor will be available to direct you to the appropriate guidance and support if you ever feel stressed or unwell. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or concerns regarding your access to a course. We will do our best to help.

Parents, carers and businesses

Subject Areas

  • What can I do after completing an ESOL course?

    After successful completion of the programme, you may wish to progress to the next level in ESOL or progress to a vocational course, GCSEs or access course. Former ESOL students have progressed to further study or employment.

  • What levels do you offer?

    We provide long and short courses in English language, numeracy, literacy and IT at all levels and offer the following qualifications: GCSE, ESOL Trinity, ESOL City & Guilds, Functional Skills, Employability and ITQ.

    All of our second language programmes are mapped to the national core curriculum. We have full-time courses for 16-19 year olds and part-time courses for adults (over 19).

    We cover the following levels

    • Beginners (lower)
    • Beginners (higher)
    • Entry 1
    • Entry 2
    • Entry 3
    • Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Pre-GCSE
    • GCSE
  • How do I apply for an ESOL course?

    Applying to join us is really easy, simply complete an application form here. Once you have filled out this form, we will invite you in for an interview and assessment.

  • How will I be assessed?

    We will assess your coursework throughout the year and will give you regular feedback on your progress through one-to-one tutorials. We will assess your qualifications throughout assignments and tasks which are marked by your tutors and checked by the examination board.

  • Why should I study ESOL at Leeds City College?

    Leeds City College is one of the largest providers of ESOL and has one of the highest achievements rated in the UK. We are an award-winning department and were rated Outstanding in our last Ofsted inspection. We help more than 2,000 students each year to develop their language skills and gain qualifications. With experienced teachers, we offer specialist courses for every level.

  • What courses do you offer?
    Level 2 BTEC National in Business
    Business enterprise environment, research & develop an idea, promote & finance an idea, pitching an idea
    Level 3 Technical Certificate in Business Enterprise
    Key Topics: Personal & Business Finance, Develop a Marketing Campaign, International Business, Pitching a Business Idea, Market Research, Civil Liability, Digital Marketing
    Level 3 Diploma in Business Studies
    Key Topics: Business & Management Principles, contribute to innovation, manage non-financial resources; then a unit from Finance, Marketing, Leadership and Human Resources

    19+ Access to HE: Business
    Business & Management Principles, contribute to innovation, manage non-financial resources; then a unit from Finance, Marketing, Leadership and Human Resources

  • What grades do I need to get?
    Level 2 Diploma in Business

    4 GCSEs at Grade 3 including English Language 
& Maths (with resit for both English & Maths)

    Level 2 Technical in Business Enterprise

    4 GCSEs at Grade 3, with English Language Grade 4 (with resit for Maths.)

    Level 3 BTEC National-Foundation Diploma

    5 GCSEs at Grade 4 including English Language & Maths

    Level 3 Diploma in Business

    4 GCSEs at grade 4 including English Language; Maths min Grade 3 (with option to resit.)

  • What can I do next?

    Depending on your goals and the qualification you have achieved you can enter employment, go to university or start an apprenticeship. For example, following the Level 2 Course you can progress to our Level 3 courses, start an apprenticeship or go into employment. Following completion of a Level 3 course – you can progress to further study, start an apprenticeship or go straight into the world of work.

    Equally, if you become 19 years of age after Level 2 or 3, our Access to HE qualification in Business becomes available as a potential route to university. There are plenty of opportunities and possibilities to consider.

  • What careers could I progress to after completing these qualifications?

    All of our courses cover multiple aspects of business from 
marketing to HR so there are plenty of roles that you could move into.

    These roles include:

    • Marketing Director
    • Finance Manager
    • Human Resources Manager
    • Project Manager
    • Actuary
    • Business Consultant
    • Chartered Accountant
    • Economist
    • Statistician
    • E-commerce Consultant
    • Business Owner
  • Does the college offer any financial support for students?

    Yes, students can apply for the college bursary which can pay for travel passes, college meals and trips. Students with children can also gain support with childcare to support their studies.

  • Which campus is the School of Business based at?

    The School of Business is housed at our Printworks Campus

  • How many days do I have to be in?

    As an average you will be in college over three days a week. The remaining time is made up of you studying, completing assignments and attending work experience programmes ranging from one day per week to full week blocks.

  • Is there a uniform?

    The School of Business has no uniform, but we wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for a college setting. We do ask that big coats and jackets are removed in the classroom and so recommend layering up.

  • What times do sessions start?

    We generally start sessions at 9am… but there will be staggered start times on some days. You’ll  be given your timetable with sufficient time to plan your journey to Printworks Campus and organise work shifts.

  • Will the college pay for my travel and lunch?

    If you meet the house household income criteria, yes you will be offered a travel card and lunch.

  • What courses do you offer?

    We offer lots of exciting automotive and engineering courses including:

    • Accident Repair Principles
    • Electrical Installation (Building & Structures)
    • Engineering, Engineering (Mechanical & Electrical)
    • Engineering Academic Route
    • Engineering Technology
    • Introduction to Engineering
    • Fabrication and Welding Engineering Technology
  • What are the progression routes from these courses?

    Progression routes are available from Level 1 to Level 3 within the School of Engineering & Manufacturing. University Centre Leeds also offers HNCs and HNDs in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering as a further progression route for Level 3 students.

  • Does my child need to wear steel toe capped boots?

    For practical lessons all students from the School of Engineering & Manufacturing will need to have safety boots and coveralls which they will need to purchase themselves, any other relevant equipment will be provided.

  • Which campus is the School of Engineering & Manufacturing based at?

    The School of Engineering & Manufacturing is housed at our Printworks Campus