There’s been a lot of talk of STEM recently – but what exactly is it? Simply put, STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, and they all play a vital role in the way we work and our quality of life. Think of the invention of vaccines, TVs, cars, even skyscrapers – all these were incredible STEM breakthroughs.
It’s not just science and tech industries that use STEM skills though – fashion designers, PR execs and even pastry chefs also rely on them to do their jobs effectively. We call this set of skills the STEM 7:
What qualifications are available?
Leeds City College has courses to suit all levels and ages:
School Leavers (16-18)
– Laboratory Science
– Level 6 Degree Apprenticeships
– Level 1
– Foundation Diploma Level 3
– Extended Diploma Level 3
– Extended Certificate Level 3
– Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship
– Essential Digital Skills
– Improve your IT Skills
– Introduction to Digital Literacy
– Level 2 Skills Pathway Digital & IT Employability Skills
– TQUK Certificate Level 2 Principles for Digital Skills
– Creative Metal Art for Beginners
– Introduction to Digital Literacy for Beginners
If you have not achieved your GCSE Science, you can study part-time with us.
– Combined Science Synergy
If you’re aged 18 to 30, and not in education, employment or training, you could start a fulfilling career with one of our fast-track employment schemes, created in partnership with the Prince’s Trust.
– Get Into STEM – Introduction
– STEM – Get Into Stem Development
What career could I go into?
No matter what level you study at, completing a STEM course allows you to progress on to jobs across a wide range of sectors:
- Software and Games Development
- Medical Science
- Renewable Energy and Environment
- Artificial Intelligence
Interested in mapping a career in STEM?