Employ an Apprentice
Enjoy the business benefits of hiring an apprentice
Apprenticeships for your business
Hiring an apprentice can help your business to develop talent, improve productivity and future-proof your company’s workforce. It is also a great opportunity for you to reduce recruitment costs and have access to high-quality training and support.
Apprenticeships can be used to bridge the skills gap in your organisation. By recruiting and training apprentices, you can develop people in a way that promotes the specific skills required by your business and industry. Apprenticeships are particularly cost-effective as a form of training, because young people are making a contribution to the workplace while they are learning.
It is also a way of upskilling your staff and supporting their professional development, or teaching them skills that are of a higher level.
Why hire an apprentice?
- 86% of employers said apprenticeships developed skills relevant to their organisation and 78% reported improved productivity.
- 90% of apprentices stay on in their place of work after completing an apprenticeship.
- There’s a wide selection of apprenticeships available covering lots of different job roles.
- You can adapt the training that your apprentice receives according to the needs of your organisation.
- An apprenticeship allows you to diversify and freshen up your workforce.
- You can employ an apprentice who’s aged 16 up to any age and from any background.
Our Apprenticeship Programmes
Our varied apprenticeship offering covers most industries so it is likely that we have an apprenticeship available that works for your business. From intermediate to degree level, we hope to develop a skilled workforce for the entire region and for you as an employer.Apprentice Employers Course List
Leeds City College covers all industry sectors below:
- Business (Accountancy, HR, Customer Service, Law, Management, Team leader)
- Creative Arts (Visual & Digital, Media & Performance Production)
- Digital & IT
- Motor vehicle
- Marketing & Events
- Hair, Beauty & Media Make-up
- Animal Care
- Hospitality – (Chef, Butchers, Bakers, front of house service)
- Health and Social care – (Clinical and Social)
- Child Care
- Education & Teaching
- Sports & Exercise
You and your apprentice will be introduced to an industry skilled assessor. They will keep in contact with your apprentice on a regular basis throughout the apprenticeship, including monthly visits to your place of work. There will be an element of blended learning and they will support and guide your apprentice through the 20% off the job training and monitor their progress.
Please contact us to find out about funding available.
Please click here to view our Apprenticeship Employer handbook.
- Contact our specialist business advisors to book your free Skills Planning review
- We can help identify skills gaps, vacancies and staff development opportunities that could be boosted by apprenticeships and flexible training & development
- Create an apprenticeship service account
- Reserve your apprenticeships funds here
- Recruit and access up to £3,000 of apprenticeship incentives and additional payments
We have lots of partnerships with leading employers that are seeking new talent. Although we keep our apprenticeship providers confidential if they wish to remain so, these are just some of our featured partners.
Do I have to pay the wages for the apprentice?
Yes, you will need to pay an apprentice like any other member of your staff. The current national apprenticeship minimum wage is £4.15 per hour. Certain grants are available to some employers taking on an apprentice to help support with the payment of their wages. Details of these grants will be discussed with you prior to your recruitment of an apprentice.
What is the difference between a standard and a framework?
The standard was developed in-line with employers and focuses on the skills, knowledge and behaviour that a candidate needs to secure in the role. Frameworks are qualification- focused and are tailored around the aims of the awarding body. It can be confusing but your allocated business engagement advisor will find the right apprenticeship for your business.
How do I recruit an apprentice?
It’s your personal preference. You can recruit an apprentice by yourself, as you would any other member of staff for your company. However, if you want some help, we have a full recruitment team and service available to support you. For more information, email email@example.com or call 0113 284 6464.
I do not have time to write a job description. Is this something you can help with?
Yes. Once you have sent an enquiry to the college, a business engagement advisor will be allocated to you. Your advisor will have experience in your sector and will be there to support you through the full recruitment process of your apprentice.
What if my apprentice leaves?
We hope to find you the right match for your job role but if the apprentice we place leaves, simply contact your allocated business engagement advisor to discuss options for a replacement. If you can’t find the details of your advisor, you can contact the main team on 0113 284 6464.