How to Apply

Shortly after you have enrolled, a unique application form will be sent to the email address you supplied at enrolment. If you do not receive this email, please email for a new link to be resent. Once you have completed the application, it will then outline what evidence you will need to bring and where to take it.

If you are 16-19 and live in a household with a gross annual income of £30,000 or below, you may be eligible for support with meals and travel.

  • Please note, financial support and entitlement to loans and bursaries are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  • The funds available are limited.
  • To apply for financial support, you must be enrolled on an eligible Leeds City College course.
  • If the below information doesn’t answer your questions, you may be able to find out more information from our policies or useful resources.

Support Information

Help with travel

You may be able to receive assistance with the cost of travel to and from college if your household income is £30,000 or below.

Passes may be provided for the use of First West Yorkshire, Arriva, TransDev and Metro. This is at the discretion of Leeds City College and the most suitable method of transport will be determined upon receipt of a successful application.

Help with meals

If you received free meals at school, you may be able to continue receiving them at college. You may also be eligible for meal support if your gross household income is £30,000 or below.

Please note, funding and financial support are only available to students attending college for five hours or more per week. Only students attending two sessions or more spanning a meal break per day, or students who attend college five hours or more per day, are eligible for meal support. You may be eligible for a meal worth up to £3.60. You may also be eligible for breakfast in college up until 10am if you are aged 16-19.

To be eligible, you must be 16-18 years old on 31 August 2023, have an EHCP or be a 19+ continuer.

Additionally, your parents must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income support.
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 per year.

You will need to bring in up-to-date evidence to receive Free School Meals.

Students will not be able to use their meal cards to purchase confectionery and drinks, and the support is in place for students to purchase meals with nutritional value. Drinking water will be made available.

If you are attending a placement you may receive a cash-equivalent voucher to the value of £3.00 per day to be used at a supermarket of your choice.

Young Parent Support

If you are aged under 20, you may be eligible for help under the government’s Care to Learn scheme which pays for childcare with an Ofsted-registered provider while you are at college up to a maximum of £180 per week for each child.

The Care to Learn scheme can help with the cost of your childcare, including deposit and registration fees, a childcare taster session for up to five days, keeping your childcare place over the summer holidays and taking your child to their childcare provider.

To apply, you must choose your childcare provider before you make a Care to Learn application. The Childcare Advisor can assist you with this. Once you have done this, complete an application online at

After you have applied, you must show a copy of your child’s birth certificate and a letter confirming you are claiming child benefit for your child to the Childcare Advisor. Your childcare provider will only be paid once you have shown evidence of this.

For further information about the Care to Learn scheme, visit

Help with Priority Fund

If you are aged 16-18 you could be entitled to a weekly payment as well as support with travel and meals. To be eligible for Priority Fund you must fall under any of the following categories:

  • In care
  • Care leavers
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself or yourself and someone who is dependent on and living with you such as a child or partner.
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payments in your own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance in your own right.

To apply for Priority Fund, please email your evidence and bank details to

Welfare Support

The college has a small Welfare Team.  They support students to overcome barriers that are impacting attendance, progression and achievement.  These could be issues such as money worries, housing problems,  loss of income and access to benefits. 

Advice is offered directly to students, or support is given to curriculum staff to help students with their issues. We also refer to external organisations for on-going support.

The team has a childcare adviser who provides targeted support to young parents, ensuring a smooth transition into college by helping find childcare places and manage relationships with childcare providers.

Advice and support are given on a range of social, economic and wellbeing issues to remove barriers to education and enrich the young parent’s experience of college.


Policies and Useful Resources

Information on fees and funding
is correct at the time of publication, however may be subject to change due to college and government policy decisions.


Students have the right to appeal a decision. This must be in writing to the Student Funds Manager within 21 days of receiving confirmation of an award or a rejection. The letter should set out the reasons for the appeal plus any further evidence to support the appeal. The decision of the Student Funds Manager will be given in writing within 14 days.

Leeds City College