Production Chef Apprentice – Heather Amos (LS26 0AP)
At Gray’s, you will be part of a small team working to deliver a fantastic dining experience for our customers. The role is primarily based in the kitchen, working alongside one of our chefs. Daily tasks will include:
- Preparing ingredients and menu items, ensuring recipes and presentation standards are followed. We offer a simple breakfast and lunch menu and ever changing specials
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness at all times
- Adhering to safety and hygiene regulations at all times
- Assisting the team with menu ideas
- Controlling wastage
- Serving customers
- It is a very fast paced environment and you will need to be good working under pressure
The coffee shop currently operates 9-3 Monday to Saturday, with the plan to open evenings longer term. The role will be required to work outside of these hours for opening prep and closing clean downs.
About the Employer
We are a local coffee shop who serve breakfast, lunch, sweet treats and drinks. Longer term we are looking at doing pop-up evenings with different food themes. We work in a busy, fast paced environment and great quality food and customer service is of the highest importance. We work hard to build a loyal customer base who want to continue to dine and drink with us.
Things to Consider
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Training to be Delivered
Level 2 Production Chef Standard Production chefs work as part of a team in time-bound and often challenging kitchen environments, for example; schools, hospitals, the Armed Forces, care homes and high street casual dining or pub kitchens. They report to the Senior Production chef or appropriate line manager. Production chefs are likely to work with centrally developed standardised recipes and menus, producing food often in high volumes. They apply highly methodical organisational skills, energy, accuracy, attention to detail and are mindful of the importance of sustainability and protecting the environment.
Knowledge & Skills gained from this apprenticeship:
- maintain excellent standards of personal, food and kitchen hygiene ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes.
- produce food meeting portion controls,
- budgetary constraints adapting and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- follow, complete and maintain production schedules,
- legislative and quality standard documentation
- use specialist kitchen equipment
- communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
- commit to personal development activities
Assessment: The apprenticeship is aligned to professional recognition from Employers within the Food and drink sector. The end-point assessment is synoptic and takes place at the end of the apprentice’s learning and development, after a minimum of 15 month’s on programme learning. It will consist of an On-demand test, a practical observation, this is then followed by a professional discussion. These are carried out after the apprentice has met the required criteria to pass the Gateway process. The apprenticeship is graded a pass, distinction or fail based on performance in the end-point assessment.
Heather Amos - Gray's Coffee Shop
Monday - Saturday 8.00am - 4.00pm (1 day off + college)
What You Need
No formal qualifications required. Level 1 functional skills in maths and English must be achieved prior to gateway and the learner must also attempt their level 2 maths and English exams. Functional skills does not apply if the apprentice already holds a grade A-C/9-4 in both English and maths.
- Basic understanding of English and Maths
- Enthusiastic, confident, reliable, flexible, positive and outgoing
- Able to work on your own initiative and take direction, ability to work at a fast pace, passionate about food and offering great customer service
The opportunity of a full time, permanent position at Gray’s.