Commis Chef Apprentice – The Timble Inn (LS21 2NN)
- Maintain and manage your assigned section including mise en place, recipes, inventory, equipment, cleaning and ordering
- Prepare menu items as per the Head Chef’s direction/recipes consistently to the highest standards
- Preparation of vegetables, meats, ﬁsh, produce, soups & sauces (including butchery and classical techniques)
- Stock fridges maintaining proper product rotation and meeting all Health and Sanitation Standards
- Monitoring portion and waste control to maintain profit margins
Applicants must be available to work evenings, weekends and public holidays.
About the Employer
Hidden away in the quiet, beautiful village of Timble, nestling in the stunning Washburn Valley, The Timble Inn is a romantic Grade II listed 18th Century Coaching Inn with foundations dating back to 1200AD, lovingly restored to an award winning restaurant with luxury rooms. Now family owned and for the past 5 years having been awarded a 5 Star Gold Award rating and 2 culinary Rosettes by the AA.
Things to Consider
● You can review the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
● Share of tips
● Meals provided whilst on duty
● 28 days holiday
● Development and training prospects
● Employee discount scheme (including family members)
Training to be Delivered
- During your apprenticeship you will be enrolled at Leeds City College (School of Travel, Food and Drink) and will complete the following programme:
- Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship
- This programme will allow the apprentice to develop their skills, knowledge and behaviours through the practical period at college as well as in the work place doing on the job training. The broad purpose of the occupation is to support the kitchen in providing the culinary offer by preparing, cooking and finishing a range of food items whilst rotating around each section of the kitchen. Commis chefs will work as part of a kitchen brigade to ensure the quality of the food items produced meet brand, organisational and legislative requirements including the completion of food safety management documentation. They receive, check and correctly store deliveries as well as checking and reporting food items and stock levels. Commis chefs contribute to improving the culinary offer of their organisation. In their daily work, an employee in this occupation interacts with a team (brigade) of chefs, the wider team including front of house staff, suppliers and customers.
- Commis chefs may work unsociable hours, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. An employee in this occupation will be responsible for maintaining high standards of personal, food and kitchen hygiene in their section.
- Duration & start date:
- This is a 21 month apprenticeship (18 months for the practical period which includes the day release at college and 3 months for the end point assessment). Potential career progression opportunities are available upon completion
- Functional Skills in English and maths if required
Level 2 (GCSE)
The Timble Inn
As per rota (35 hours per week usually split over 4 days), working various shifts – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (no split shifts). We pride ourselves on a good work/life balance here at The Timble Inn.
What You Need
- GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Desired
- GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Desired
- Experience in hospitality
- Must be punctual
- Attention to detail
- Team working
- Good time management
- Eager to learn
- Passionate about food
On completion of the apprenticeship there is scope to become a full-time permanent member of the team.