Commis Chef Apprentice – CHILTON CATERING LIMITED (BD17 7DW)
- – Making bread, Desserts and Petit Fours.
- – Using existing recipes and eventually bringing new ideas to the section to elevate the offerings for each seasonal menu using seasonal available ingredients, local where possible.
- – Ensure work space is clean and tidy, keeping to site and national safety and hygiene regulations.
About the Employer
Small restaurant with ambition to achieve 1 Michelin Star level. Head/Exec chef has worked to 1, 2 and 3 Michelin Star level and is endeavouring to put a small talented team together to meet the objectives. Site has 20 covers and we are open for lunch and dinner 5 days a week. Required staffing levels are 3 chef’s, 1 x KP and a full time front of house with 3 part time foh covering busy periods. We have had 2 National reviews by Giles Coren and Jay Rayner with positive outcomes. This puts pressure on the output to be of a consistent nature for every service.
Things to Consider
Please review the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Training to be Delivered
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS GAINED FROM THIS APPRENTICESHIP:
- Contributing to reviewing and refreshing menus.
- Using technology in line with business guidelines.
- Checking food stocks, reporting on shortages and prioritising food that is close to expiry.
- Learning how to prioritise tasks.
- Measuring dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately.
- Developing basic cooking skills and techniques.
- Improving knife skills when preparing food.
- Maintaining a clean and hygienic kitchen.
ASSESSMENT: The apprenticeship is aligned to professional recognition from employers within the food and drink sector. The end-point assessment takes place at the end of the apprentice’s learning and development, after a minimum of 15 months on-programme learning. It will consist of a multiple choice test, a practical observation in the workplace and a culinary challenge, followed by a professional discussion. These are carried out after the apprentice has met the required criteria to pass the gateway process. The apprentice is graded a pass, distinction or fail based on their performance in the end-point assessment.
CHILTON CATERING LIMITED
Shipley Wharf Unit B
Shifts between Tuesday - Saturday 10:00am - 3:00pm & 5:00pm - 10:00pm
What You Need
No previous qualifications required; however it is desired that the applicant has achieved their maths and English grade A-C/7-4 or equivalents. If you do not hold the above qualifications, then level 1 functional skills in maths and English must be achieved prior to gateway and the candidate must also have attempted their level 2 functional skills in maths and English.
- Basic knife skills would be an advantage.
- Passion for excellence and food.
- Basic Food Hygiene.
Move to different sections to learn about the Main course and possible promotion. Potential to spend time at a Michelin Starred restaurant for an agreed period to benchmark standards and understanding of the required standards.