Apprentice multi-skilled Engineer – ESTERFORM PACKAGING LIMITED (LS12 6DX)
Your main role as an apprentice will be to work alongside the site engineers, to learn all aspects of maintenance, machine assembly, machinery repairs, machinery installations required across the full range of skills.
To support the Site Engineering team to repair and maintain production machinery.
- To diagnose and repair electrical faults on site machinery
- To diagnose and repair mechanical faults on site machinery
- To maintain accurate records relating to daily work activity
- To communicate effectively with all other colleagues
- To actively participate in any/all continuous improvement activities
- To share experience and best practice with colleagues
- To demonstrate good housekeeping practices
- To apply best practice in areas with regard to Health & Safety, Quality procedures and Job Safety
To be proactive and recommend improvements in all relevant areas of the business.
Any other duties as required by the Management Team.
Over the course for the 4-year apprenticeship you will complete the basic in-house training for:
- Workshop machinery: setting and operation
- Fabrication and welding
- Pneumatics and hydraulics
- Electrical and electronic
About the Employer
Esterform is the largest independent converter of PET in the UK, with a wide range of customers in different market sectors. A rolling 5-year investment programme ensures that capacity continues to keep pace with the requirements of customers and potential customers. Producing 2.5 billion preforms per year that are converted into plastic bottles for a wide variety of uses
Training to be Delivered
Maintenance and Operations Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Level 3.
42 months plus 3 months EPA.
This apprenticeship will be delivered through a mixture of college and work-based learning. Successful candidates will attend our Printworks Campus one day per week to learn the skills/knowledge required to be successful within this role. They will also receive a visit once a month in their place of work from their assessor, where delivery will take place on a one-to-one basis.
Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technicians covers 7 roles: Electrical Technicians; Mechanical Technicians; Control & Instrumentation Technicians; Wind Turbine Technicians Electrical System and Process Control Technicians; Electromechanical Technicians and Plant Operations Technicians. They will maintain the safety, integrity and effective operation of plant and equipment in one or more of the following Industries that are part of or have activities that are part of the broader national infrastructure Engineering Sector.
Employers must satisfy themselves that apprentices are ready for their end point assessment. Apprentices must demonstrate that they meet the following criteria:
- Achieved a minimum Level 2 English and maths
- Satisfactory completion of the formal training plan agreed with the apprentice by the employer
- Sufficient evidence in the form of a portfolio to allow the apprentice to consistently demonstrate knowledge, skills and behaviours as described in the standard
- Complete a minimum of 20% of their contracted hours allocated to off the job training
The end-point assessment is synoptic and takes place at the end of the apprentice’s learning and development (final three months). It will consist of a performance assessment in the workplace – logbook / portfolio of evidence. Knowledge/practical assessments and assignments.
These are carried out after the apprentice has met the required criteria to pass the Gateway process. The apprenticeship is graded a pass, distinction or fail based on performance in the end-point assessment.
Functional Skills qualifications (If required):
- Functional skills in English
- Functional skills in maths
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
This standard will meet the professional standards of the Engineering Council for registration as Engineering Technician (Eng Tech) by an appropriate Professional Engineering Institution.
Advanced Level 3 (A level)
Esterform Packaging Limited
Royds Farm Road
Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm
What You Need
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4 (C)) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 (C)) Essential
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Problem solving skills
- Number skills
- Team working
To progress to shift technician and then to progress through the company.