Apprentice Commis Chef – Sabroso Street Ltd (LS28 5LD)
You will prepare and cook all items on our menu to the highest standard, always be on time and ready for your shift and always showing willingness and enthusiasm.
You will be expected to work well under pressure with a small and friendly team in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment.
Chef responsibilities include studying recipes, setting up menus and preparing high-quality dishes. You should be able to work well in a team of two, or on your own, in a friendly, but high pressure environment. Also, you should be familiar with hygiene and food safety regulations. If you have experience with cooking techniques and a passion for delivering great food, we’d like to meet you.
Ultimately, you’ll prepare and deliver a complete menu that keeps up Sabroso Street’s high standards.
– Set up the kitchen with cooking utensils and equipment, like knives, pans and kitchen scales
– Study each recipe and gather all necessary ingredients from the local – butchers/greengrocers/suppliers
– Cook food in a timely manner
– Ensure appealing plate presentation
– Slightly modify recipes to meet customers’ needs and requests (e.g. reduce salt, remove dairy)
– Allergen awareness. Paying close attention to customers’ allergen needs.
– Monitor food stock and place orders
– Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
– Experiment with recipes and suggest new ingredients
– Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area
– Ensure a clean kitchen is presented at the end of service, and following daily and weekly checklists to ensure the highest standards
About the Employer
We are a Mexican street food restaurant seating 60 covers plus outside space. We are currently running as a take-away due to Coronavirus.
It is a family run business in the heart of Farsley and all our produce is locally sourced from the butchers and greengrocer.
It is a fast-paced environment that requires initiative, willingness to learn and a practical approach.
We are extremely passionate about the quality of the food we serve and endeavour to always improve.
Things to Consider
– Location of the business
– Weekend work is required
– Please review the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Training to be Delivered
Mode of delivery: Delivered in the workplace and weekly college attendance
based at our Printworks, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 1JY
Training to be Provided Intermediate L2 Commis Chef – Apprenticeship Standard 21 months (inclusive of end point assessment) Commis Chef Level: Intermediate Length of Programme: 21 months
Mode of delivery: Day release Competence and
Knowledge qualification: Level 2 Commis chef standard
Knowledge, skills and behaviours:
Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
Maintain, handle and clean knives & boards Optional Units
Prepare, cook and finish fish for basic dishes
Prepare, cook and finish meats for basic dishes
Prepare, cook and finish poultry for basic dishes
Prepare, cook and finish vegetables for basic dishes
Prepare, cook and finish dried ingredients prior to cooking
Make basic stock
Prepare, cook and finish basic vegetable protein dishes
Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
Produce healthier dishes
Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
Prepare and present food for cold presentation
Complete Kitchen documentation
Set up and close Kitchen
Level 2 Commis chef standard
Functional Skills qualifications:
Level 1 Functional Skill in English
Level 1 Functional Skill in maths
Employee Rights and Responsibilities
Personal Learning and Thinking Skills Mode of delivery: Day-release
Sabroso Street Ltd
10 Town Street
Varied - spilt over Wednesday - Sunday. 37.5 per week (7 of these hours are spent a College on either a Monday or Tuesday)
What You Need
– No previous qualifications required; however it is desired that the applicant has achieved their maths and English grade A-C/7-4 or equivalents
– If you do not hold the above qualifications, then level 1 functional skills in
maths and English must be achieved prior to gateway and the candidate must also have attempted their level 2 functional skills in maths and English
– Culinary qualification preferred but not essential
– Some experience of working in a kitchen is preferred for example, experience with various kitchen equipment (e.g. grills, fryers, microwaves, bain maries etc)
– Up-to-date knowledge of cooking techniques and recipes
– Familiarity with hygiene regulations
– Ability to remain calm and undertake various tasks
– Excellent time management abilities
– Team Player
Passion for the industry
Potentially securing a permanent position within the company