L2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of understanding safe handling of medication in health and social care. The duration of the course is 6-12 weeks.
This qualification aims to help learners develop:
- a general understanding of different types of medication and their use
- knowledge of the procedures for obtaining, storing, administering and disposing of medication
- an understanding of legislation and the audit process related to medication and issues of responsibility and accountability
- an understanding of the record-keeping process for medication.
This is a knowledge-based qualification; achievement will not allow learners to be considered occupationally competent in the administration of medication.
Who is this course for?
This qualification is designed for learners wishing to develop their understanding of the safe handling of medicines. They may be learners who wish to access this training with a view to progress to further qualifications, or learners who wish to study this programme in order to complement other studies.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 18 and above.
Units / Modules
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care, learners are required to successfully complete 4 mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Understand medication and prescriptions
- Unit 02 Supply, storage and disposal of medication
- Unit 03 Understand the requirements for the safe administration of medication
- Unit 04 Record-keeping and audit processes for medication
There is no grading for this qualification.
Benefits / Skills
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care, learners are required to successfully complete 4 mandatory units.
The qualification aims to help you develop your underpinning knowledge and understanding of the importance of the principles of the safe handling of medication within a health and social care setting.
This qualification supports progression to employment and progression within employment for the following job roles and workers:
- care assistant or worker
- personal care assistant
- adult social care relief team worker
- night care assistant
- support worker (supported living)
- key workers in residential/domiciliary/day care settings
- palliative care hospice worker
- home care support worker
- re-enablement worker
- healthcare support service worker
- clinical healthcare support worker
- healthcare assistant
- bereavement support worker.
The qualification supports progression to further learning in the following areas: Horizontal progression into, for example:
- Level 2 Diploma in Adult Care
- Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Support
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Working with People with Mental Health Needs
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship
- Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship
Vertical progression into, for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Healthcare Support
- Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Stroke Care Management
- Lead Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship
- Senior Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship
Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care CACHE Certificate Level 2
Advance your career with this specialist programme. You will develop your understanding of safeguarding and protection to ensure the welfare of your p...More info
Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
This qualification aims to develop learners’ understanding of autism and the principles of supporting individuals with autism....More info
Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
This qualification is designed for any learner that wants to raise their awareness of mental health and the problems that can cause mental health prob...More info
Up to 12 weeks (dependent on how much time you study per week)
The qualification is supported by employers in the Health and Social Care sector.