L2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. The duration of the course is 6-12 weeks.
This qualification covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
The qualification doesn't infer competence in the work role, but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
Who is this course for?
Units / Modules
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care learners are required to successfully complete 7 mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Dementia awareness
- Unit 02 The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03 Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 04 Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 05 Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 06 Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07 Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
There is no grading for this qualification.
Benefits / Skills
The qualification can support progression to further sector specific training and qualifications for the following types of roles:
- healthcare support service worker
- clinical healthcare support worker
- healthcare assistant
- nursing assistant
- health education/health promotion worker
- care assistants/assistants/support workers in residential settings
- health care assistants/support workers in community and primary care environments
- health care assistants/support workers in acute health environments
- care assistants/support workers/key workers in domiciliary services
- care assistants/support workers/key workers in day services
- personal assistants employed directly by the individual they support or their families.
The qualification supports progression to further learning in the following areas: Horizontal progression into, for example:
- Level 2 Diploma in Adult Care
- Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Support
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Working with People with Mental Health Needs
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship
- Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship
Vertical progression into, for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Healthcare Support
- Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Stroke Care Management
- Lead Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship
- Senior Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship
Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
This qualification is designed for any learner that wants to raise their awareness of mental health and the problems that can cause mental health prob...More info
Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care CACHE Certificate Level 2
Advance your career with this specialist programme. You will develop your understanding of safeguarding and protection to ensure the welfare of your p...More info
Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
This qualification aims to develop learners’ understanding of autism and the principles of supporting individuals with autism....More info
Course Fee (16-18)
The qualification is supported by employers in the Health and Social Care sector.