AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping Level 3
Aimed at experienced bookkeepers, this Level 3 qualification offers progression for those who already have bookkeeping knowledge at Foundation level, either to secure a bookkeeping role or go on to further study. It covers areas like double entry bookkeeping, financial statements, intermediate spreadsheets and software use.
The course consists of three units:
This unit is the first of two Advanced financial accounting units. It develops Foundation skills, incorporating advanced bookkeeping and managing records for non-current assets, in preparation for producing final accounts for unincorporated organisations.The purpose of this unit is to build on skills and knowledge learned in the Foundation level accounting units and to develop bookkeeping skills, taken to an initial trial balance. This is valuable progress for the student, both in terms of moving towards preparing final accounts and also in terms of offering employers more technical skills at this stage. The bookkeeping skills that students have acquired at an earlier stage will be reinforced and developed.
- Apply the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping.
- Implement procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets.
- Prepare and record depreciation calculations.Record period end adjustments.
- Produce and extend the trial balance.
Final Accounts Preparation
This Advanced level unit is about preparing final accounts for sole traders and partnerships, and helping students to become aware of alternative business organisation structures. This purpose is to provide the background knowledge and skills that a student needs to be capable of drafting accounts for sole traders and partnerships, and it provides the background knowledge of the regulations governing company accounts.A successful student will be able to complete tasks while being aware of potential ethical issues and know how to report information effectively. The student should become an accomplished member of the accounting team who is able to work with little supervision and who can see a financial picture of the organisation as a whole.
- Distinguish between the financial recording and reporting requirements of different types of organisation.
- Explain the need for final accounts and the accounting and ethical principles underlying their preparation.
- Prepare accounting records from incomplete information.
- Produce accounts for sole traders.
- Produce accounts for partnerships.
- Recognise the key differences between preparing accounts for a limited company and a sole trader.
This Advanced level unit is about indirect tax: specifically, the tax that is referred to in the UK and throughout this unit as value added tax (VAT). The unit is designed to develop students’ skills in preparing and submitting returns to the relevant tax authority in situations where the transactions that have to be included are relatively routine. However, some non-routine issues are also included.
- Understand and apply VAT legislation requirements.
- Accurately complete VAT returns and submit them in a timely manner.
- Understand the implications for the business of errors, omissions and late filing and payment.
- Report VAT-related information within the organisation in accordance with regulatory and organisational requirements.
Who is this course for?
Students who want to obtain the following roles
- Professional bookkeeper
- Senior bookkeeper
- Accounts manager
- Ledger manager
Units / Modules
Benefits / Skills
Achieve AAT bookkeeping membership
If you successfully complete this qualification you can apply to become an AAT bookkeeping member AATQB
Access higher levels of Accountancy qualifications
Apply for bookkeeping roles
Students who want to obtain the following roles
Students who want to progress onto higher level accountancy qualifications
Procurement and Supply Operations CIPS Advanced Certificate | Level 3
This CIPS advanced certificate is designed to help you develop the capability to carry out purchasing and supply tasks. It is ideal for those new to p...More info
Accounting Advanced | AAT Accounting Diploma | Level 3
AAT accounting qualifications are universally respected and recognised. While studying this qualification, you will master more complex accounting dis...More info
Human Resource Practice CIPD Foundation Certificate | Level 3
The Certificate in Human Resource Practice (CHRP) is the first step to a professional career in HR. Alongside associate membership of the CIPD, this q...More info
Course Fee (16-18)
The course can be completed in just 20 weeks
The course offers progression onto higher level of study
Students can secure a bookkeeping role with this qualification